Wednesday, September 22, 2010

To PhD or Not To PhD

Yeah, that pun isn't getting any better than the first time I heard it. My apologies for the use.

Well, in the last month I have made progress. By progress I mean that I might have a workable PhD topic - though the workability percentage is still being discussed - that I am mostly interested in. I will count this as my first win. Small, baby steps.

I am all moved back to the city. There was a bit of a busy weekend in there with three trips between the city and the cottage, but it all got sorted out. I am as yet amazed at how quickly I fell back into the old routine. I promised myself I wouldn't, but when there is nothing else to do... It's comfortable and easy and I still hate it as much as I did in May.

But enough rambling about that. This blog was ostensibly for NaNo purposes, so let's get back to that! I am firmly planning on still doing NaNo this year, as I still have the workings of a YA fantasy novel lying around my harddrive. There is still the matter of a few background details and, of course, the climax to figure out, but I have more than a month left and I feel that if I get back into it things should pick up again. I still *think* it's a good idea, so we'll go with that. It can't be any worse than the flying by the seat of my trousers that I did last year! I am bound and determined to do it in a month, start to finish, and none of this faffing about on the conclusion until February. 50,000 words. 30 days. Starting in the afternoon on the 1st, because I will be in Toronto that morning. I think it's doable. Of course, there is also the oil painting, work, museum stuff, a funding bid (really?) and a proposal. But there are 5 weeks left before the midnight hour. I am going to make good use of them. Turning over a new leaf, as it were.

Starting...right...now.

1 comment:

  1. wow! I cant believe it, I am at the same state of mind right now. Wish you luck with writing :)
    Will want to follow your approach towards - to PhD or not to PhD, because I am far behind your steps - I still have not solved - This or That!

    ReplyDelete